Submit Ring

Refresh Your Brain and Gain More Cognition

2. Visitor Permit (FMM – Forma Migratoria Múltiple)

As mentioned earlier, most tourists entering Mexico will need to obtain a Forma Migratoria Múltiple (FMM), also known as a tourist card. This permit allows you to stay in Mexico for up to 180 days for tourism or recreational purposes. To obtain an FMM, you can:

  • Request it at the point of entry (airport, land border, or seaport).
  • Fill out the FMM form, which is usually provided during your flight or at the border.
  • Pay the applicable fee, which is often included in the price of your airline ticket or as part of your tour package.

Ensure you keep a copy of your FMM and your passport with you at all times during your stay in Mexico, as immigration authorities may request them for verification. Losing your FMM can result in fines and complications when leaving the country.

3. Duration of Stay

Mexico has specific rules regarding the duration of stay for tourists. As mentioned previously, tourists are generally allowed to stay for up to 180 days with an FMM. It’s crucial to adhere to this limit, as overstaying your permitted duration can result in fines, deportation, or even future travel restrictions to Mexico. If you wish to extend your stay beyond 180 days, you should contact the Instituto Nacional de Migración (National Institute of Immigration) in Mexico for guidance on the extension process.

4. Mexican Tourist Card (Tourist Tax)

In addition to the FMM, some travelers may be required to pay a Mexican tourist card or tourist tax upon arrival. This fee, known as the Visitax, is applicable to tourists arriving by air and is typically included in the price of your airline ticket. However, if you are entering Mexico by land or sea, you may need to pay the Visitax separately. Be sure to check the latest regulations and fees before your trip to ensure compliance.

Traveling to Mexico? Ensure You Meet Entry Requirements
Scroll to top